Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Roccat Tyon Black right-handed gaming mouse

This has happened to me before with the Roccat Kone XTD. Shame on you, Roccat!
Stop making products that are addictive. I've been under the influence of the Roccat Tyon for about a month now. I wonder if this is how they catch those guys that they call "Roccateers". When that sexy lighting effect lays it's shine on me 6AM, I know it's time to play a game or two. "Oh, I'll just do the last, third one quickly.." is what I'm thinking at the beginning of my eleventh map. It's extremely dangerous when combined with the Ryos TKL Pro. Please don't try gaming with this at home.

Specifications
  • 8200 DPI PRO AIM (R3) LASER SENSOR
    for precision gaming at its best
  • X-CELERATOR THUMB PADDLE
    for unrivaled command capabilities
  • DORSAL FIN SWITCH
    for rapid and instinctive control
  • ROCCAT™ EASY-SHIFT[+]™
    on-the-fly button duplicator
  • 16.8M MULTICOLOR ILLUMINATION
    customizable two-level light system
  • TRACKING & DISTANCE CONTROL UNIT
    less pick-up flight for precise gaming
  • 16 MOUSE BUTTONS
    programmable + solid mouse wheel
  • 32-BIT PROCESSOR + 576KB MEMORY
    for rapid macro storage and execution


Packaging

The box is solid, attractive and informative. It features a magnet-held door to take a look at the mouse before buying.


Inside we can find the Tyon with its quick installation guide and a velcro strap.
Quick installation guide (Europe)
Quick installation guide (Asia)

The quick installation guide is useful and unlike the Ryos TKL Pro, I don't feel like the package should have came with a manual. Lets take a look at the Tyon now.




Design and functions


It looks a bit like the Kone XTD but it's not. It lacks some features the Kone XTD had such as the weight system and a tiltable scroll-wheel. To compensate for these missing features, there are a ton of new ones - paddles, buttons, better Easy-shift location and LED underglow. Not even going to mention the more comfortable shape and better grip.
It has most of the features the Kone XTD had but a tiltable scrolling wheel wouldn't hurt anybody. The fin switch in the middle seems to be replacing this function though.
It is pretty damn big but not too heavy. I like my mice big and this is a big mouse. You might prefer something a bit different. Definitely try if it fits your hand before buying!


Next to the usual left and right buttons, we can find 4 customizable buttons. Those on the left side are easier to reach in my opinion than the right side ones. Below the scroll wheel we can see the fin switch. It's a bit unnatural to reach when you aren't using it frequently. Once you start using it, you will get used to it pretty quickly. Unlike some mice, the scroll wheel has steps I can really feel.



On the left side, it has the Easy-Shift button, two customizable buttons and one of the paddles.
This paddle is a lot easier to use than the other one and instead of clicking, it slides smoothly. I don't currently play any aviation or joystick games so my experience is stuck at using it to zoom or scroll.
This side has no buttons or features other than the grippy plastic side panel. Which definitely does its job well.
The Cable is not removable but as I said before, it's a braided cable. Actually quite thin for a braided cable.

Gaming and general use

I can really feel a connection between my movements and the cursors. Sometimes I feel like a bot. I guess it's a good thing.
I wasn't able to setup the mouse to fully control everything in some games. This is most likely because of the games and not the mouse itself. I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to play racing games with a mouse. The extra buttons also come in handy while browsing the web. My browsing experience has improved thanks to the fact that the buttons can be set to do just about anything. Refreshing, forwards, backwards and adding pages to bookmarks is just the beginning of possibilities. The DPI settings were helpful while positioning graphical content, editing videos and playing games. 

Software

The software looks like every other that we've seen on Roccat devices. This one comes with a bit more details and features, just because the device itself has lots of complex add-ons. I still don't like their macro managing endless notices in the software. Lets hope this will be fixed with the Unify driver. My favourite preset is the volume up and down with the help of Easy-Shift. I use it more frequently than the RMB.
Having many profiles is great, but so far, I haven't really used any more than two of them. I'm the kind of a guy that doesn't always use all the opportunities he has. From all the possibilities with this mouse, I only use the basic and useful features at the moment.
I probably would use all the different functions if I was playing a game that requires a ton of combos and macros. This mouse can also use the Roccat Talk, which lets pressing Easy-shift on one device enable second functions on another. I suggest you to take a look at the quick installation guide I linked above, there's enough information about the software to get you started.




Conclusion

It's an exceptional mouse with tons of features and perfect shape for me. Its paddle switches and extra buttons can be useful in a variety of games. Definitely worth to buy but only if the size fits.


A couple of pros and cons

+ Comfortable shape with lots of grip to it
+ Tons of customizable buttons
+ Customizable LED system
+ Paddles
+ Braided cable with a recognizable plug
+ Easy-shift
- No tiltable scroll-wheel anymore
- There was no warning it could cause addiction

From 1 to 10, I'd rate it at 9.5

External links


Roccat Tyon product page
Roccat Shop
Roccat Tyon on Newegg
Roccat Tyon on Pricewatch
Roccat Tyon at Hinnavaatlus.ee

PS! There's a white version of the Tyon as well

No comments :

Post a Comment